The Mendenhall Clan

The Mendenhall Clan

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Out with the Old and into the New

I did it! I finally did it! I made the decision to leave the salon that I have been employed at for 9 years. This was a HUGE decision for me.

 Ask yourself "what have I done consecutively for 9 years?" Can you think of anything? Maybe you played soccer for 9 years or more. Maybe you went to college for 9 years. I have asked a few people this question and none of them can say that they have done something for 9 years straight.

I am a loyal person, I guess. I was happy at this salon when it was called Christopher Perry. After it was sold and re named Taylor Hill, with in 6 months most of my co-workers had moved onto better places. I stayed. Why? Because I liked who I was working with and I had built my clientele at this location. I kind of felt obligated to myself and my clients. I kept telling myself that things would get better and it didn't. So I changed my way of thinking about work. Instead of having pride in the salon I worked at every day, I went to work did the clients I had and went home to my son and husband. No cleaning, no helping out, no restocking and cleaning out of the refrigerator, nothing extra. Go to work, do my job, go home. Easy enough. Then the drama started and I was getting sick of it. The hairdressing world is FILLED with drama but this was ridiculous.

Earlier this month there were rumors of the manager getting fired because she basically disagreed with the owner on a subject. I thought "Well if Michelle goes, I go!" Michelle made it worth being there. I thought about it and thought about it. Prayed about it and thought about it some more. Called everyone one I thought I should to talk it out and get their opinion. ( that's what girls do right?) My old boss Christopher and Mathew said to me "you need to get out of there." They were so right! Then they told me to call Wil.

Now Wil is a guy who used to work at Taylor Hill with me for about 6 months. He opened up his own salon across the street after he was asked to leave Taylor Hill. (Actually he was already working on opening it while he was working at Taylor Hill Salon.) I was nervous to call him but I did. He was so excited to hear from me and wanted to meet to discuss me working with him at his new, gorgeous salon. So we met on a Monday in the first week of December. It was a great meeting at Starbucks and I told him that my first day at the W Salon Studio would be January 5, 2011. I decided to not tell a soul about the decision I had made to leave Taylor Hill. I obviously told my husband and family but had to keep it to myself with everyone else. If the owner of Taylor Hill found out it would have been a very negative experience. So I held this secret until my very last day Wednesday December 29th. I felt really good about the choice I had made. Heavenly Father let me know through a very calm feeling that this is what I should be doing.

But I was extremely nervous to tell my current co-workers. I told my manager, Michelle, in the afternoon as she was about to leave for the day. She wasn't happy but understood why I was leaving. Slowly through out the rest of the day I broke the news one by one to the people that kept me going at Taylor Hill Salon. I love these girls. They are great people and very talented hair dressers. Saudra, who I was the most worried about, cried when I told her and she tried to hide the bags that I was using to pack my stuff up with. She again understood but really didn't want me to go. She is the last one from the Christopher Perry Crew still working there. I finished packing my things and finished my last client and walked out of that salon for the last time. It was bitter sweet. I have made so many memories and friends there.

I am very excited to start working at the W Salon Studio. It is located literally across the street from Taylor Hill next door to the Ruby's Diner in down town San Juan Capistrano. Wil is so very excited for me come work there as well. I realized the other day that my first day at the W Salon Studio, January 5th, is the same day I started at Christopher Perry Salon 9 years ago. WEIRD! 

The Christopher Perry Salon


The W Salon Studio


The Lounge area at W Salon Studio

So please come visit me at my new place of employment! It is such a fun place and I can't wait to make new memories and friends at this fresh new salon! Thank you to everyone for your continued loyalty and support.

Here's to at least another 9 years of work and here's to a great start to 2011!!!

1 comment:

E.F.G. said...

i wish i lived closer. i desperately need a haircut.

good luck at the new salon. i know you'll do well!