The Mendenhall Clan

The Mendenhall Clan

Friday, August 7, 2009

Motherhood


Everyone has been asking me how motherhood has been treating me. I explain this to all my clients every day that I work. One of my clients yesterday suggested I blog about it. I love being a mom but I am gonna be honest and frank here.


Let's begin with the fact that I absolutely LOVE Jaxson more then life and I don't know if I could love him any more then I already do.


Motherhood is wonderful, fabulous, frustrating, sad, amazing, UNPREDICTABLE, happiness, spiritual, yucky, stinky, smelly, awe-inspiring, astonishing, surprising, marvelous, peachy, scary, miraculous, erratic, impressive and inconsistent.


Trying to get "Stinky" to bed at night. (We call him stinky when he is being stubborn.) Some nights it can take us 5 minutes and other nights it could take us 45 minutes or longer. When Sterling has tried and I have tried and Grandma, my mom, has tried you get pretty frustrated. But the nights that you can put him down 5 minuted after you started to calm him down you are so amazed and wonder if he will stay down. Then once he is down and he appears to be staying down how long is he gonna sleep for? 4 hours? 6 hours? Will he sleep through the night? (Last night he slept 10 hours straight.)
Chasing after that illusive DAILY shower is a project alone. After I put Jaxson down for a nap I sit at the computer or in front of the TV just wondering if he will stay down for 10 minutes or 3 and a half hours. After I have been fiddling around on the computer checking e-mail, on facebook, blogging or whatever I notice I have been sitting there for 2 hours and he is still asleep. Dang it I missed out on taking a shower, doing the dishes, cleaning, making phone calls, or something productive.


Try running errands. I seem to have a small window of time between napping, feeding, Baby Einstein and then napping again. I have maybe an hour to get out and do what I need to before "Stinky" gets fussy and needs to go home and down for a nap. He falls asleep in the car but as soon as it stops he is awake again. Then sometimes I can get him back to sleep but others that little cat nap in the car is all he needed. In my opinion naps are not just for the baby, mom needs a break too!


To me the not knowing part of parenting at this stage is annoying. If he had a nap and sleep schedule I think I would not get so discouraged. And I am trying to not sound like I am complaining, I am just stating the facts of motherhood from my perspective.


But when he smiles, giggles, sings, coos or splashes in the bath or simply does anything that is too cute those frustrating times fall to the back of the memory bank and life is good.
And remember a sleeping baby = happy parents!!!

So shoot me cuz my son likes sleeping on his tummy.

2 comments:

Greg and Diana said...

That's the most frustrating part of being a mom...not knowing what's going to happen!! You put them down for bed and then you never know when they're going to get up, are you going to get 30 minutes of sleep, or 6 hours?? That gets better with age, but that was the most depressing part for me was never knowing how long I was going to get to sleep.

The shower thing is a pain...after the first one I learned what worked for me, showers at night..the only way, then Greg is home and can listen for the kids while I jump in.

Jaxson looks great though, so you're doing a great job!!!

noelle regina said...

i love that you love motherhood - you were always good at it. even when you mothered little unruly cousins. jax is a lucky boy.

xoxo