The Mendenhall Clan

The Mendenhall Clan

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Claire had Surgery

Let's start from the beginning. This may be TMI for some people but I just wanted to type it up and let everyone who wants to read it instead of me explaining it a million times.

Sterling and I went to the doctor on Wednesday august 15th. This doctor appointment was with Doctor Zarandy the fertility specialist that works in the same office as my OB-GYN. She did an internal ultrasound and saw that I have cystic ovaries, which we already knew. After the ultrasound and reading my medical history she said that she wants to do a Hysteroscopy Laparoscopy. Which means she wanted to go inside and look around to see if I had endometriosis. She also was going to get a sample of my uterus and put dye in my tubes to see if they were blocked.

She wanted to this ASAP. So we scheduled the surgery for the following Monday, yea that was 5 days after meeting with her. I was like ok here we go!

I had to be on a clear liquid diet all day Sunday and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. That sucked.

I woke up Monday morning and had to stop by my doctors office to do a pregnancy test, why i dont know but i did it. Then we were on our way to the surgery center. Sterling took a vacation day to be home and take care of me and Jaxson.

I had to be there an hour and a half before the surgery was scheduled and we had to wait. i hate waiting. They finally took me back to prep me. Sterling and Jaxson came back to give me a kiss and say good luck and they took off.

This very attractive anesthesiologist, Dr. Hancock, came an explained the procedure of knocking me out. They did a few more prep things and then he came back and gave me a shot of something in my IV. I asked if i should say good night now and he said that this would just take the edge off. all I remember after that is getting rolled into another room and then it was lights out for me. 

The next thing i remember is waking up in the recovery room and i was moaning. The nurse asked if i wanted more pain meds and i said yes. I also remember asking for Sterling and they said he was on his way. The drug doctor also said that my throat would hurt because of the tube they were gonna put down my throat and he was right. I waited for Sterling to come get me and while i was waiting my doctor came out and tried to talk to me and i dont remember anything she said other then my left tube was blocked. 

Sterling finally got there and drove me home. I went straight to my bed and fell asleep for 2 hours. On my way up the stairs i remember seeing Adrienne sitting on my couch. Apparently Jaxson was napping when Sterling had to leave to pick me up so he called Adrienne to come over and sit at our house with Jaxson. 

When i woke up I came down stairs and Adrienne was gone and my mom was asleep on my couch. My shoulder and chest hurt really bad. My doctor warned me about this pain and it is from the gas they put in my abdomen to be able to look around. I took some pain meds and felt better. 

One of my good family friends offered to bring over dinner that night and i was delish!!!! I rested the rest of the day and went to bed early. I didn't sleep as well as I wanted to but I felt ok when I woke up. I was home  with Jaxson and had to take him to his gym class that morning. It was weird how mobile i was the day after i had surgery. Made it to gym class and back and went straight back to the couch. Adrienne brought lunch over and hung out for a little. I tried to give Jaxson a nap and he was not having any part of it, just my luck. So i called a women from my ward who insisted on coming and getting Jaxson to have a play date at her house for a couple hours so i could take a nap. It was a great nap! I had a weird dream during i tho. 

Sterling came home soon after Jaxson was dropped off. He took care of him the rest of the evening and i just laid on the couch. I felt so lazy but for a good reason. 

I was so excited to wake up this morning and head to my doctor appointment to get a post-op report. I got to my doctors office 10 minutes before my appointment and they finally took me back 10 minutes after my appointment was scheduled. Sterling, Jaxson and I sat in an exam room until 45 minutes after my appointment was scheduled and my doctor still hadn't shown up to the office and wasn't answering her phone or returning phone calls. Sterling had to leave to get to a dentist appointment, which I already moved back so he could come to my doctor appointment with me. So there I was alone with Jaxson waiting for my doctor to show up. About 10 minutes later they finally sent me home and i left my call number so they could call me when they heard from her. As I am driving home I get about a mile away from home and they call me saying to come back to the office because my doctor finally showed up. So i drove back and here is what she said:


  • the inside of my uterus is totally normal
  • both ovaries had cysts and she popped all of them which means for a least a couple of months/cycles i wont have any cysts on my ovaries. The cysts will come back eventually.
  • the dye went through my right tube with no problem. but my left one was blocked my something. she had to try and try to push the dye through until finally it opened up. she isn't sure what was blocking it
  • my liver, appendix and gall bladder all look normal. (i have pictures to prove it if you want to see them!)
  • she saw small signs of endometriosis but it is a mild form of it. 
  • i also had a para-tubal cyst that she took care of.
So all in all everything is OK. I asked her even tho she didn't find anything major is she glad she did the surgery and she said Absolutely. 

Our next step is to wait for my next cycle to start and do another round of Clomid and possibly add HCG shots but i could get pregnant she said before my next cycle. Who knows. 

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and prayers as we are going though this trial. If you have any questions or you want to see the pictures please let me know!!! Again THANK YOU!!!!


4 comments:

Shauna said...

I am so glad everything went well. Let's hope you get pregnant soon - you deserve it after going through so much. You are in my prayers - love you.

E.F.G. said...

"This very attractive anesthesiologist..."
aside for the general good health news, this was my favorite part of your post!

hopefully this surgery is what will do the trick and you'll be pregnant soon.

Dr. LaRisse Skene said...

I feel your pain. After 6 years of trying to conceive and crazy amounts of money spent on fertility treatments over the last 2.5 years somitimes all I want to do is curl up in a ball and dissappear. Hang in there. It will all work out in the end and if it doesn't work out, it's not the end....

Enjoy Birth said...

I am sorry you are having to go through so much to have another baby. I hope that you do get pregnant before your next cycle. How great that would be!!!

I co-authored a book about spirituality and birth from an LDS perspective and it is interesting how many moms have to struggle to have their children.

you can check out our blog at thegiftofgivinglife.com

Good luck!